You can use your mobile device to email jobs to yourself or others. You can apply to roles at KIPP from a laptop or desktop.
General Position Overview
KIPP New Orleans is seeking a dynamic School Social Worker who will bring unique knowledge and skills to the school system and the student services team. School Social Workers are concerned with a student’s functioning in school especially when school adjustment difficulties, poor school attendance and/or social problems impede pupil educational advancement. The School Social Worker might serve on the Schools RTI Team and as a member of the Pupil Appraisal Team. This includes but is not limited to conducting formal and informal assessments, communicating with parents, providing behavioral interventions and connecting families with community resources.
About KIPP New Orleans:
KIPP New Orleans Schools (KNOS) is building an influential network of tuition-free, open-enrollment, college-preparatory public charter schools that empower students with the knowledge and character traits to be lifelong learners and leaders. KNOS operates ten high-performing schools on eight campuses, serving roughly 4,500 of our city’s highest-needs students. Over the next several years, we aim to ultimately grow to twelve schools, five primary, five middle and two high schools.
With rigorous academics, innovative teaching, and a motivating learning environment, we are working to ensure that all of our students are prepared for college and beyond. Although KIPP teachers come from a diverse set of backgrounds, they all share the common goal of student success. KIPP teachers display a “whatever it takes” attitude during the school day and are available after school hours by cell phone. KIPP New Orleans Schools embrace the spirit of our city with athletics, band, visual arts, or other fine arts available at every school.
KIPP New Orleans Schools is associated with the national KIPP (Knowledge Is Power Program) Network which recruits and trains school leaders to open KIPP schools across the country. The KIPP network is rapidly growing. There are currently 183 KIPP schools in 20 states and the District of Columbia serving 70,000 students.
- Previous experience conducting formal and informal assessments, communicating with parents, providing behavioral interventions, and connecting families with community resources required
- Experience working with students from a low income community highly preferred
- Licensed as a Clinical Social Worker/BAS
- Recognized as a School Social Work Specialist and certification as a Qualified School Social Worker and Child Welfare and Attendance Supervisor by the Louisiana State Department of Education highly preferred
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Serve as member of the in-school Student Support Services Team (SSS Team) for initial and re-evaluations.
- Completes psychosocial histories as part of the student evaluation including a parent and student interview.
- Completes classroom observations and teacher interviews in order to provide information on school performance and give impressions and recommendations for next steps.
- Provides individual and group treatment as indicated on Individual Education Plans (IEP) and documents all clinical activity.
- Writes annual IEP goals and notes monthly progress and advisory reports related to IEP goals
- Documents efforts to reach non-responsive students and keeps monthly contact sheets.
- Conducts functional behavioral assessments and creates behavior intervention plans (FBA/BIP) as needed for students.
- Participates in annual IEP meetings and Manifestation Determination Hearings, as needed.
- Participates on the RTI / Health and Wellness Team and provides services and interventions as assigned including FBA/BIPs, individual counseling, parent interviews and psychosocial histories, community referrals, etc
- Advises and collaborates with teachers, case managers, teams on students who exhibit behavior problems and / or failing.
Salary for this position is competitive and commensurate with experience. Additionally, KIPP New Orleans Schools offers a comprehensive benefits package.