You can use your mobile device to email jobs to yourself or others. You can apply to roles at KIPP from a laptop or desktop.
Director of School Operations (School-Based)
KIPP New Orleans Schools
New Orleans, LA
Type: Leadership & Support Staff
Full Time/Part Time: Full-Time
Start Date: 2019-20 School Year
Organization: KIPP New Orleans Schools
Contact: Erin Marrero
About KIPP New Orleans
KIPP New Orleans Schools is a non-profit network of 11 college-preparatory, public charter schools educating 4400 elementary, middle, and high school students. We have a 10-year track record of preparing students for success in college and life, and our goal is to help students develop the knowledge, skills, and character strengths they need to pursue a life filled with choices.
Our schools are part of the free public school system and enrollment is open to all students. As part of the national Knowledge Is Power Program (KIPP) network of 200 schools in 20 states and the District of Columbia, we are committed to partnering with the community to ensure that all children have the knowledge, skills, and character they need to achieve their dreams while making the world a better place. We believe that great teachers and school leaders, a supportive learning environment, and an emphasis on both academics and character are the foundation for student success, and we strive to provide these for every child.
At KIPP New Orleans Schools, teachers, students and families are all united around the same goal: college and a choice-filled life. We believe that an excellent college-preparatory education will set students up for success in whatever life path they choose. Through collective hard work and commitment, KIPP students complete college at a rate that is above the national average and four times higher than that of students from similar economic backgrounds.
General Position Overview
Reporting to the Managing Director of Schools, the Director of School Operations (DSO) is a senior, school-based leadership role that oversees all finance and operations functions necessary to run a high-performing K-8 school. The DSO ensures that the school’s operations meet high standards of operational excellence, and enables instructional leaders and staff to focus on driving strong student achievement outcomes. The DSO works closely with the Managing Director of School Operations and the School Support Center (SSC), who provides support to schools across the entire KIPP network, to reach outcomes on region-wide initiatives and goals.
- Strategic thinking and an entrepreneurial spirit that maximize available resources and develop excellent, sustainable outcomes
- Solid organizational and time-management skills, including the ability to advance numerous competing priorities
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, including the ability to coordinate activities across team members at multiple locations
- An ability to cultivate partnerships and build consensus
- Comfort defining and upholding high expectations, including delivering and receiving constructive feedback
- Adaptability and comfort working in a complex, fast-paced environment that demands continuous learning and improvement
- A sense of humility, customer service mindset, and shows urgency and the ability to proactively solve problems and make decisions quickly
- A passion for KNOS’s mission of driving extraordinary academic achievement and personal growth that result in students’ attainment of a college degree
School Operations Leadership & Operations Team Management
Budgeting, Finances & Purchasing
- In partnership with the Managing Director of Schools, School Leaders and the SSC, develops the school-wide operations vision that supports and operationalizes the academic and cultural vision of the school
- Plays a leadership role in the school’s strategic and annual planning and budgeting process
- Hires, manages, coaches, and develops school operations team members (including front office staff and vendors) and holds them accountable to goals and outcomes
- Serves as the primary point of contact for the SSC team, responding to requests and collaborating with teammates across the SSC to build scalable, region-wide systems, policies, and procedures
- Oversees big picture facilities issues, including maintenance, managing staff/vendors, aesthetics, shared space agreements, and campus safety
- With the Facilities Director, plans for maintaining capital-intensive building systems, meeting compliance requirements, enhancing facilities, and fulfilling lease obligations.
- Oversees all aspects of food service, including quality, managing staff/vendors, meal tracking, compliance, and meal delivery
- Oversees all aspects of transportation including vendor management, arrival and dismissal procedures, and setting and managing staff duty schedules
- Owns ultimate responsibility for each and every student's safe transport to and from school
- Leads the school opening/start up process each year to ensure that doors are ready to open by coordinating furniture, equipment, and instructional supply orders.
Student Recruitment, Enrollment & Data
- Works closely with the Managing Director of Schools and School Leaders to develop the school’s annual budget and actively manages the school budget throughout the year
- Manages the school purchasing process by establishing clear systems; approves school purchases within a specific financial threshold
- Serves as the first school-based point of contact regarding finance and works with SSC Finance team to ensure financial compliance and reporting
Risk Management, Compliance, and Human Resources
- Develops and manages student recruitment strategy to ensure that the school begins the academic year with full classes and actively recruits to fill open seats
- Leverages the entire school team to reach outcome of filling 100% available seats by 10/1
- Ensures that parent info sessions, school tours, and application and enrollment process are tightly planned and executed
- Ensures the Managing Director of Schools, School Leads, teachers, and staff have complete and accurate student information they need to be successful.
- Ensure that the school is prepared for emergencies by conducting all drills and training staff on emergency plans
- Partners with SSC human capital team on the new hire process (e.g. interviews, new hire offer letters, onboarding)
- Reviews and approves bi-weekly payroll and time-off requests
- Ensures that school staff have complete, current, and accurate employee files and certifications; all personnel interacting with students have background checks on file; and schools comply with all areas of legal compliance (e.g. HR, FERPA)
- Communicates leave needs and critical dates to the human capital team and assists in the facilitation of employee leaves
- Manage human resource operations for the school and serve as a liaison with KIPP New Orleans Human Resources Team
- Manage teacher and staff onboarding and off-boarding in conjunction with SSC human resources, finance, and IT teams.
- Lead Performance Management process for all operations staff at the school level.
- Collaborate with the KIPP New Orleans Human Resources Team to ensure school-level HR compliance with various employment-related government agencies, maintain personnel files, and administer benefits.
Compensation The salary for this position is competitive and commensurate with experience. Additionally, KIPP New Orleans Schools offers a comprehensive benefits package including health coverage and retirement.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s Degree in related field preferred
- A minimum of 3 years of experience in operations, business, finance/accounting, and/or administration
- Unwavering commitment to the mission of KIPP New Orleans Schools, that all students can reach college and that we can and must revitalize education in New Orleans
- Excellent organizational, planning and implementation skills
- Ability to lead, to manage multiple priorities and to manage the ambiguity inherent in an entrepreneurial environment
- Ability to manage and lead people and provide performance management
- Ability to communicate and interact effectively with multiple constituencies
- Quantitative skills and experience with financial management
- High proficiency in Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Outlook required