You can use your mobile device to email jobs to yourself or others. You can apply to roles at KIPP from a laptop or desktop.
Director of School Operations - Newark
KIPP New Jersey - Newark
Type: Leadership & Support Staff
Full Time/Part Time: Full-Time
Start Date: Immediate
Organization: KIPP New Jersey - Newark
Contact: Leadership Recruiter
As a Director of School Operations (DSO), you will report to the Managing Director of Operations and the School Principal and you’ll be responsible for all of the non-instructional matters that are required to run a school. You will be the personal face for our shared services office in the school.
A bit more about you…you have strong organizational skills and are a communications ace. You are flexible and cool under pressure. You find ways to make things work. Above all, your focus is on students.
Here’s what you’ll be doing:
School-specific tasks may include:
- Finance and Purchasing: Develop the school’s budget and oversee purchasing, saving on costs and staying compliant
- Academic Support Operations: Work closely with the Academic Support team to bring school-based projects to completion. Update student information systems, academic calendars, and scheduling as changes come up.
- Technology and Facilities: The DSO oversees day to day operations of school based facilities and technology projects and staff.
- Nutrition program: The DSO is responsible for the free and reduced-price meal eligibility program at their school.
- Trip Planning and Event coordination: As events, trips and Saturday schools come up, you’ll be responsible for making sure everything runs smoothly for the staff, students and families involved.
- Compliance: The DSO ensures school-wide compliance with health and safety laws, teacher certification and fingerprinting, city and state education mandates, and all federal and state workplace regulations.
- Management: The DSO oversees the school’s office manager but helps manage other school support workers at the school, being the eyes and ears of the operations team in the building.
Must Haves (ie. what you need to rock this role):
- Developing school-based marketing and messaging materials for visitors, teacher recruits, and families
- Working with the school leader to develop the school schedule
- Managing the busing program and handling incidents
- Support teachers when needed for proctoring, chaperoning trips and covering classes.
You also have:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution
- 4 to 10 years of work experience, preferably in business or operations management
- An interest in education or the non-profit sector
- A history of building relationships and driving results
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (especially Excel)
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation for traveling around the city
- Evening and weekend availability
- A passion for the mission, vision, and values of KIPP New Jersey
- Comfort with financial oversight
- Flexibility – able to solve problems in a complex, at times ambiguous, and fast-moving environment
- Comfort working both on teams and independently
- Comfort with giving and receiving feedback
- A willingness to continually learn and improve
Need more reasons to work here?
In addition to a competitive salary, KIPP New Jersey offers a comprehensive benefits plan, a subsidized wireless plan through Verizon, and a laptop (Woot! Woot!), as well as subsidized travel for teammates commuting from the New York area. And 100% of KIPP New Jersey employees agree we have the best kids in the nation. So there’s that.
About KIPP New Jersey
KIPP New Jersey schools are part of the nationally recognized “Knowledge Is Power Program” non-profit network of college-preparatory, public charter schools educating elementary, middle, and high school students. In 2002, KIPP New Jersey first opened its doors in Newark’s South Ward as a single class of 80 fifth graders and has since grown to teach over 5,100 students in grades K-12 in Newark and Camden. 92% of KIPP New Jersey students currently qualify for free or reduced price meals.
KIPP New Jersey alumni earn college degrees at more than 3.5 times the national average for students from low-income families. By offering highly effective educators with strong bonds to families, more time in school learning, services that support a variety of student needs, and a culture focused on achievement, our students are on the path to and through college. Visit KIPPNJ.org to learn more.
KIPP new jersey is an equal opportunity employer.