You can use your mobile device to email jobs to yourself or others. You can apply to roles at KIPP from a laptop or desktop.
Assistant Principal (19-20)
KIPP Houston Public Schools
Type: Leadership & Support Staff
Full Time/Part Time: Full-Time
Start Date: 2019-20 School Year
Organization: KIPP Houston Public Schools
Contact: Amanda Cole
A KIPP Texas Public Schools Assistant Principal will provide assistance to the School Leader with the overall administration of instructional programs and the school. An AP may focus on a specific area such as faculty, students, or culture or may handle all areas on the campus.
This position furthers the mission of KIPP Texas Public Schools because it helps ensure that all students are equipped with the right tools and a safe environment to learn.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
Depending on the focus of the position, the AP will be responsible for:
• Participate in the development and evaluation of educational programs.
• Encourage and support development of innovative instructional programs, helping teacher pilot such efforts when appropriate.
• Assess curriculum by monitoring syllabi, course overviews, and lesson plans.
• Maintain internal and external assessment systems and help teachers use assessment data to further improve the quality of instruction
• Manage academic support programs such as Saturday School, tutoring, service learning work, etc.
• Regularly check in with faulty to help mediate conversations between faulty members and assess overall morale at school
• Support Leadership with faculty reward programs and activities.
• Observe employee performance, record observations and conduct evaluations.
• Conduct one on ones teachers and grade level or department chairs.
• Collaborate and advise teachers on classroom management methods and interventions
• Ensure the continuous professional development of all staff by collaborating with other Leadership Team members to design, develop, and execute individual and staff-wide professional development
• Assist principal in interviewing, selecting and orienting new staff
• Monitor overall academic progress for students
• Intervene with support when students have challenges with attendance, academics or discipline
• Work with students to set goals and increase student motivation
• Administer discipline actions
• Assist teachers to develop strong partnerships with parents by enhancing communications
• Work closely with faculty to develop strategic plans to monitor compliance of the Commitment to Excellence on behalf of the parents and students.
• Maintain and monitor compliance in areas such as Special Education, 504, LPAC and At-Risk students.
• Coordinate and manage state, district, and local testing.
• May be responsible for the school in the principal’s absence.
Education and Knowledge:
• Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
• Prior experience as a highly effective teacher
• Must be considered highly-qualified based on NCLB guidelines, if applicable
• Previous leadership experience preferred
• Ability to establish rapport with families and children
• Articulate, professional demeanor with strong self-confidence and initiative
• Ability to work both on broad-based strategy and everyday details
• Ability to exercise excellent judgment in decision-making
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships both internal and external to the district
• Independent, self-starter with a strong focus on student development and a passion for working with underserved student populations and their families
• Proven written and verbal communication skills with all levels of management, both internal and external to the district
• Strong organizational and planning skills
• Possession of a passionate and loving attitude toward all children
• Possession of a sense of urgency to do whatever it takes to assure that every student gets to and through college
• Commitment to the vision, mission, values and goals of KIPP Houston Public Schools
• Motivation to grow as an educational professional
• Desire to implement curriculum, instruction, and assessment that is cutting-edge based on educational research
• Willingness to be an active member of a professional learning community focused on action research within the school and the classroom
• Responsiveness; Follow-up and follow-through with students, families, and faculty members is essential
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook)
• Proficiency using computers, printers, copy machines, and fax machines
• Ability to travel throughout the district and the city
• Valid Texas Driver license with appropriate insurance coverage