You can use your mobile device to email jobs to yourself or others. You can apply to roles at KIPP from a laptop or desktop.
College Persistence Counselor
About KIPP Nashville
Type: Leadership & Support Staff
Full Time/Part Time: Full-Time
Start Date: Immediate
Organization: KIPP Nashville
KIPP Nashville is a network of high-performing, college preparatory public schools that has been committed to creating a vibrant, college-going culture in Nashville since 2005. KIPP Nashville is part of the acclaimed KIPP Network, which educates 100,000 students nation-wide and supports students from educationally under-resourced communities to college graduation through our KIPP Through College program.
KIPP Nashville currently operates 3 elementary schools, 2 middle schools, and 1 high school. 100% of our 2018 alumni graduated high school with acceptance to 4 year colleges and are projected to complete college at a rate 4x that of their peers
. We are excited to expand our Kinder-College continuum by opening our 7th
school in 2019 and continuing our growth until all students in Nashville have access to an excellent education. The mission of KIPP Nashville is to cultivate in its students the character and academic skills needed to succeed in college and have an opportunity-filled life in the world beyond.
If you share in this belief, if you have a proven willingness to do what it takes for students to achieve, if you thrive in an environment that is both collaborative and entrepreneurial, then you are already a KIPPster. Position Overview: The College Persistence Counselor is an integral part of the KIPP Nashville team, delivering on our promise of “to & through” college by providing support and counseling to KIPP Nashville alumni in college. These holistic supports include a focus on college persistence, college completion and career readiness. This position is based out of the KIPP Nashville regional office in Nashville and will require frequent travel to college campuses throughout Tennessee and the eastern region, with about 50% time spent on campuses, including travel to out-of-state campuses. This position reports to the Director of KIPP Through College.
Key Duties and Responsibilities: Responsibilities of the job include, but are not limited to: Student Supports
- Manage a caseload of approximately 150 college students, providing advising services focused on the high school to college transition, college persistence, college completion, and career readiness.
- Maintain frequent and regular contact with advisees to monitor progress and to troubleshoot academic, financial and socio-emotional issues.
- Conduct college campus visits for all college attending students.
- Assist students with class selection and registration, financial aid renewal and verification, satisfactory academic progress appeals, and college transfer/re-enrollment processes.
- Assist college attending alumni with summer career opportunities/programs/internships research.
- Develop and maintain contacts with key stakeholders at post-secondary institutions where KIPP Nashville students attend to provide feedback regarding academic rigor, school culture, and counseling services
- Track all alumni data—meeting notes, GPA information, grades, and college persistence status, in KIPP National Alumni Database and run weekly reports for KTC program.
Team Alignment & Participation
- Plan, facilitate, and implement 3-4 alumni events per year: KTC Holiday Party; KTC summer transition event; career readiness informational session; and end of year Alumni Reunion.
- Research the most current changes and updates to existing laws and information regarding educational options for undocumented students and support families through workshops, one-on-one meetings and small group meetings.
- Attend meetings and participate in phone calls that further KIPP’s national college partnerships as needed
- Share responsibility for program activities, some of which take place during evenings or weekends, including: Summer Programs, College Visits and Tours, Alumni Reunion events, and other KTC related trips and activities
- Input and analyze advising and programmatic data to inform decisions and drive outcomes
- Communicate effectively with students, families, and colleagues
- Attend and actively participate actively in all KTC team meetings, KIPP Nashville regional staff development days and workshops.
- Plan and participate in weekly one-on-one meetings with manager.
- Attend and actively participate in the KIPP Foundation’s KTC professional development opportunities, including webinars, trainings, retreats and learning communities
- Commit to professional growth
- 2+ years of prior work experience in one or more of these relevant field(s): College counseling, student retention, student advising, success coaching, teaching. Experience working directly with first-generation college-going students and their families preferred.
- Bachelor's degree required, Master’s degree in higher education, counseling, or academic advising highly preferred
- Spanish proficiency highly preferred
- Experience managing projects with a documented track record of success
- Experience utilizing different communication platforms to drive outcomes (Phone, social media, e-mail, texting)
- Ability to work with faculty, families, students, and community partners
- Experience managing competing deadlines
- Demonstrate a relentless drive to empower our alumni to be successful
- Demonstrate passion for the mission, vision and values of KIPP Through College Nashville; willingness to actively participate in the KIPP Nashville community
- Quick, creative and resilient problem-solver, with a strong work ethic and an entrepreneurial spirit
- Fast learner with the ability to inquire and be open to feedback
- Multi-faceted, multi-skilled, resourceful, and willing to do whatever it takes to help our students persist in college
- Outstanding organizational skills and high attention to detail; outstanding written and oral communication skills
Salary for this position is competitive, commensurate with experience and includes a full benefits package.