You can use your mobile device to email jobs to yourself or others. You can apply to roles at KIPP from a laptop or desktop.
KIPP Houston Public Schools
Type: Leadership & Support Staff
Full Time/Part Time: Full-Time
Start Date: Immediate
Organization: KIPP Houston Public Schools
ABOUT KIPP TEXAS PUBLIC SCHOOLS
For more than 15 years, KIPP Austin, KIPP Dallas-Fort Worth, KIPP Houston, and KIPP San Antonio have put thousands of KIPPsters on the path to and through college. Last year, we collectively educated over 25,000 students in more than 50 schools, covering a geographic area of over 400 miles. Our regions have a long history of informal collaboration, with teachers and staff members sharing ideas, curricula, professional development, facilities, finances, end-of-year field trips, and more. As of the 2018-2019 school year, all KIPP schools in Texas join forces as KIPP Texas Public Schools, a state-wide network of schools dedicated to supporting students to and through college!
The Payroll Specialist position is an entry level position and responsible for assisting the Payroll Supervisor with various aspects of the payroll process to ensure that accurate paychecks are generated for KIPP Texas employees on time, each pay period. The Payroll Specialist will also provide administrative support to the HR/Payroll Team as needed.
The Payroll Specialist will:
Assist the Payroll Supervisor with the payroll process
Ensure a timely response to requests for information
- Process time and attendance for non-exempt employees each pay period. This includes entering timesheets when necessary, follow up with managers to approve time, and creation of import sheets in Time and Attendance and upload of information for payroll processing in ADP
- Data entry and maintenance of direct deposit, tax information and additional garnishments, when necessary
- Review and process current payroll data and changes including stipends, one-time deductions, garnishments and payroll calculations for new hires, terminations and employee changes
- Assist with the payroll preview and make edits when appropriate
- Download final reports for review by the Payroll Supervisor and Director of Payroll
Prepare liabilities for payment
- Primary contact for employees with payroll issues and/or concerns
- Complete employment verification requests in a timely manner
- Answer payroll questions from School Leaders and Administrators
- Make recommendations regarding processes that would streamline the payroll process
Maintain Federal and State Compliance
- Prepare reports on liabilities (i.e. benefits, retirement plans, etc.) and itemized lists of deductions for payment
- Prepare check requests and upload in dropbox
- Sort and mail checks to appropriate vendors
Skills and Qualifications Education and Knowledge:
- Maintain accurate and complete files for all KIPP employees
- File payroll documentation and paperwork in employee payroll files
- Prepare monthly Flexible Spending Account reports
- Preserve the confidentiality of sensitive employee information by maintaining a locked file system
- High school diploma, plus 1- 2 years of Payroll experience, preferred but not required
- Experience with a payroll system such as ADP, PeopleSoft, SAP, or equivalent software
- Excellent attention to detail and a high level of accuracy required
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and multi-tasking skills
- Intermediate to Advanced proficiency using Microsoft Excel
- Excellent organizational skills required
- Articulate, professional demeanor with strong self-confidence and initiative
- Excellent interpersonal skills; Ability to work well with all levels of the organization and with external contacts
- Ability to prioritize tasks and meet strict deadlines is key
- Ability to identify problems and proactively find solutions
- Strong typing skills are required with 10-key by touch
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook)
- Proficiency using computers, printers, copy machines, and fax machines
Compensation and Benefits
Salary is based on years of experience, degree of education, and level of expertise. A competitive benefits package is also offered.
KIPP is a non-profit network of 200 college-preparatory, public charter schools educating elementary, middle, and high school students. We believe that all students will learn and achieve at high levels if given the opportunity. Our mission is to help students develop the knowledge, skills, and character strengths they need to seize those opportunities. Great education transforms lives.
KIPP provides equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees.
As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.