You can use your mobile device to email jobs to yourself or others. You can apply to roles at KIPP from a laptop or desktop.
2019-20 Metro Atlanta Teacher Residency Round 7
About the Metro Atlanta Teacher Residency (MATR)
KIPP Metro Atlanta Schools
Full Time/Part Time: Full-Time
Start Date: 2019-20 School Year
Subject: English Language Arts/Reading; General Elementary; Math; Science; Social Studies/History
Grade: K; 1; 2; 3; 4; 5; 6; 7; 8; 9; 10; 11; 12
Organization: KIPP Metro Atlanta Schools
In partnership with the Relay Graduate School of Education and Atlanta Public Schools, the KIPP Metro Atlanta Teaching Residency provides a unique and rigorous opportunity for aspiring educators to enter the profession through a supportive training process. Residents will learn alongside mentor teachers, while earning a master’s degree in teaching and a Georgia teaching certificate. This selective, paid, two-year residency immerses Residents in intensive training through Relay’s coursework and deliberate practice with a gradual on-ramp into teaching. Furthermore, Residents will have the opportunity to engage in content development, case studies and instructional rounds all aimed at building a continuous learning mindset within themselves and their cohort. This program is best suited for individuals who are passionate and committed to teaching as a long-term career path but who do not have any full-time teaching experience yet.
For the $125K investment on the development of the Resident, the Resident commits to teach for a minimum of two years in KIPP Metro Atlanta or Atlanta Public School and a minimum of two years after the program – a total 4 year commitment.About KIPP Metro Atlanta
KIPP (Knowledge is Power Program) is a national network of free, open-enrollment, college preparatory charter schools dedicated to preparing students in historically underserved communities for success in college and in life. There are 224 KIPP schools in 20 states and the District of Columbia educating nearly 100,000 students nationwide. KIPP’s mission is to prepare all of our students for lives filled with choice and opportunity, and to give them the tools needed to thrive in their education and the competitive world beyond. Today, 11,000 KIPP alumni are enrolled in colleges and universities across the country. Our alumni currently graduate from four-year colleges at a rate that is above the national average for all students and four times the average for students from similar economic backgrounds nationwide.
KIPP Metro Atlanta currently serves 3,800 students across nine schools – four primary schools, four middle schools, and one high school – and over 1,000 alumni in the KIPP Through College program, which supports students on their journey to and through college. To find out more about why great teachers join KIPP Metro Atlanta Schools, visit our website here
The MATR Resident must believe that
- All children can and will learn.
- Accountability starts and ends with me.
- When there is a better way, I find it. When a teammate needs help, I give it. When I need help, I ask for it.
- With deliberate practice, I can become an excellent teacher.
- I am a constant learner.
The MATR Resident must
Duties and Responsibilities
- Have grit and work relentlessly to solve problems.
- Make decisions with student’s best interests in mind.
- Demonstrate self-control, both work related and inter-personal.
- Keep commitments made to students, families, and colleagues.
- Express and maintain optimism about the future of our students and our schools.
- Be dependable, organized, efficient, creative, & professional.
Year 1 MATR residents will assume the same schedule as a full-time KIPP Metro Atlanta teacher with the duties and responsibilities that include:
- Developing teaching skills through regular feedback and coaching.
- Participating and contributing as a member of his/ her particular school community.
- Providing individual or small group instruction for students.
- Committing to constant professional and personal growth through working closely with a team of teachers across the region.
- Attending all school level professional development (PD sessions) and all PD and certification coursework with Relay GSE and MATR.
- Continuously assessing student progress, and communicating results to families and colleagues.
- Modeling the school’s values in all communications with students, families, and staff.
- Participating in weekly meetings with mentor/host teacher.
- Participating in goal setting, observations, and debrief meetings with school leaders, MATR staff, and Relay faculty, and the mentor teacher.
- Implementing feedback from observation by school leaders, MATR staff, Relay faculty, school leaders, and mentor teachers into classroom practice.
- Conducting purposeful observations of mentor and other excellent teachers.
- Modeling the values of KIPP Metro Atlanta and setting the standard for professional behavior.
- Envisioning and creating a positive learning environment and exhibiting positive rapport with students, families, and staff.
- Having fun and spreading joy!
Year 2 MATR residents will be full-time lead teachers in either a KIPP Metro Atlanta School or Atlanta Public School with roles and responsibilities equivalent to that of a lead teacher. Residents will still attend graduate school courses and work to meet certification requirements, but will have a different schedule from Year 1 Residents.Qualifications
Compensation and Benefits
- Compelling passion and commitment to being a teacher in an underserved community
- Belief that all students can and will learn
- Unquestioned integrity and commitment to MATR’s mission, as well as the mission of the schools in which MATR’s are placed
- Receptive to feedback and have a willingness to continuously reflect, improve, and learn
- Strong work ethic coupled with an enthusiastic and passionate approach to the work
- Ability to work in a dynamic, fast-paced environment
- Develop strong relationships with parents and colleagues
- Flexibility, tenacity, perseverance, resourcefulness, teamwork, and a sense of humor
- High level of organization and professionalism
- Bachelor’s degree with a 3.00 GPA (preferred)
Year 1 residents will receive a $30,000 stipend with a competitive benefits package that includes health coverage (medical, dental, vision). Tuition cost is fully paid by KIPP Metro Atlanta Schools. Year 2 residents will receive a full first year teacher’s salary alongside a competitive benefits package. To Apply
To begin the application process, click here: https://www.kippmetroatlanta.org/apply-now/
You will need to upload your resume and unofficial transcript.