You can use your mobile device to email jobs to yourself or others. You can apply to roles at KIPP from a laptop or desktop.
KIPP NYC Director of Real Estate Finance
About KIPP NYC:
New York, NY
Type: Leadership & Support Staff
Full Time/Part Time: Full-Time
Start Date: Immediate
Organization: KIPP NYC
KIPP NYC Public Schools is a non-profit network of free, public charter schools that prepares students for success in college and life. In 1995 we started our first middle school KIPP Academy, in The Bronx. Our goal was to graduate students with the strength of character and academic abilities needed to succeed in high school, college and beyond – and in so doing, to prove what is possible for all students. Today, our New York City network is comprised of seven elementary schools, seven middle schools, one high school, and KIPP Through College & Career, a comprehensive support program for our alumni. KIPP NYC Public Schools currently serves more than 6000 students and alumni and has a staff of more than 700. In August 2019, we opened a new elementary and middle school in the Bronx, and in August 2020, we will be opening KIPP’s first intentionally racially and socioeconomically integrated school, KIPP Beyond Middle School! Position Overview:
Over the next several years, KIPP NYC will develop a portfolio of private real estate facilities serving up to 6 schools (two elementary schools, three middle schools, one high school). KIPP NYC is building a team of mission driven and entrepreneurial real estate operations, development and finance professionals who can provide the leadership necessary to execute on this major facilities expansion. KIPP NYC is also committed to investigating sector-wide solutions to real estate financing, development, and management systems. The Director of Real Estate Finance will report to and work closely with the Chief Real Estate Officer to secure financing for all phases of facilities work, to support the accounting and FP&A teams in operations and systems building related to real estate finance and development, and serve as the project lead for strategy, design and execution of innovative financing and real estate management structures. The role will require significant coordination with KIPP NYC Senior Leadership and functional team members
The Director of Real Estate Finance will be a team player and resourceful project manager who thrives in an entrepreneurial, dynamic, fast paced and evolving real estate context and who excels at strategic planning and operational logistics. This individual will be equally comfortable in the hard skills arena (building and managing financial and project plans) and the soft skills arena (building relationships, using personal influence to advance project goals and managing risk) and above and beyond all, this person will seek to deliver exceptional project outcomes for the project(s) and organization. Exceptional project outcomes will touch on the following areas: professionalism, budget, timeline, relationship management and project management.Duties and Responsibilities (but not limited to):The Director of Real Estate Finance will be responsible for two primary workstreams.Real Estate Transaction Management (75%)
Strategy Design & Development for Innovative RE Financing & Management Structures (25%)
- Work with the Chief Real Estate Officer to design and manage financial partner engagement, including review of term sheets, legal documents, assessment of risk, financial feasibility, etc.
- Serve as liaison across and between internal and external project team members for all purposes
- Develop and manage project plans for execution of major project goals, including developing and managing all stakeholder communications required to keep project team members rowing in the same direction
- Delivery of all due diligence efforts required for transaction success (e.g. legal architecture/structure, financial feasibility, operational components, real estate & site specific diligence as needed)
- Commit to building fluency and comfort with structures of KIPP NYC school operations and enrollment plans (among other areas) to better serve as an effective liaison between internal and external project stakeholders
- Develop project update materials in PPT, Word, Excel, etc. for key project stakeholders (e.g. KIPP NYC Board of Trustees, Financial Partners, School Leaders, etc.)
- Maintain and/or develop systems for long term management of financial and real estate diligence and operations (e.g. loan compliance systems, portfolio of leases/MOUs and acquisition/financing documentation, etc.)
Skills and Characteristics
- Lead research, investigation and development of investigation of innovative real estate financing, development, and/or management structures in service of KIPP NYC and charter sector)
- Responsible for overall project plan development and management, coordination of stakeholders and thought partners
- Ensure development of financial models supporting theories and operations
- Engage legal team and coordinate review of legal issues for structure and execution
- Lead project plan development and implementation to ensure successful project outcomes
The Director of Real Estate Finance will be expected to lead and manage with a creative problem-solving mentality, tenacity, and a strong sense of the KIPP NYC’s mission and goals.
Specific skills desired of the ideal candidate include:
Educational Background, Work Experience and Expectations
- Works with urgency and purpose to drive outcomes
- Works thru silos and forges cross-departmental relationships in order to achieve outcomes
- Ability to spot, proactively mitigate, and address risk
- Demonstrated commitment to accuracy and close attention to detail
- Comfort with ambiguity and willingness to tackle new hurdles when they arise
- Thrives in an entrepreneurial, high-growth environment; comfortable with ambiguity/change
- Ability to conduct technical analysis of information (both data and financial)
- Highly developed organizational skills
- Strong communication, interpersonal skills and keen judgment
- Has demonstrated effective outcomes and results, and wants to be held accountable for them
- Has a propensity for action, willing to make mistakes by doing in order to learn and improve
- Seeks and responds well to feedback, which is shared often across all levels of the organization
- Motivation, maturity, humility, strong work ethic, sense of humor, “roll-up-my-sleeves” attitude
- Demonstrated passion for and a commitment to the KIPP mission for high quality public education and the character traits we value: Zest, grit, self-control, hope, love, social intelligence, gratitude, and a sense of humor
This description is intended to describe the type of work being performed by a person assigned to this position. It is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities required by the employee.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred in a related field
- Minimum of 7 years of work experience
- Ability to work extended workdays and weekends as required to support core objectives and project milestones (e.g. financial closings, etc.)
- Willingness to travel to KIPP schools, KIPP network offices and offices of project team members as may be required to advance the project(s) on the necessary project timelines.
KIPP NYC LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. KIPP NYC LLC is committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants for employment.