You can use your mobile device to email jobs to yourself or others. You can apply to roles at KIPP from a laptop or desktop.
KIPP Memphis Collegiate Schools
Type: Leadership & Support Staff
Full Time/Part Time: Full-Time
Start Date: Immediate
Organization: KIPP Memphis Collegiate Schools
Contact: Greta Hunter
WHO WE ARE
KIPP Memphis is part of KIPP (Knowledge Is Power Program), a national network of free, open-enrollment, public schools that are successful in helping students from educationally underserved communities develop the knowledge, skills, character, and habits needed to succeed in college and the competitive world beyond. There are currently 224 KIPP schools serving nearly 100,000 students. Today, KIPP Memphis serves over 2,800 students in our seven schools in Memphis and almost 800 alumni on their journeys to and through college with our KIPP Through College Program.
KIPP Memphis serves over 2,800 students in grades K-12, at seven schools in north and south Memphis. Each of our elementary schools’ partner with Porter-Leath to provide a high-quality pre-K instructional experience for our communities.
KIPP Memphis Collegiate Schools seeks a Building Engineer. This position is under the direct supervision of the Director of School Operations, the Facility Building Engineer oversees general maintenance, upkeep and security for the school facilities and grounds. The Building Engineer is responsible for all oversight, budget management and contracted services. In this position, s/he is responsible for the efficient operation of the facility’s MEP systems, building and site components as well as preventative maintenance and repairs. The Facility Building Engineer oversees and coordinates with school leadership and operations team in connection with major repairs and maintenance of the facility to ensure that the building has adequate heat, lighting, ventilation, plumbing, security or etc. for the safety and comfort of the KIPP Memphis Team and Family. The Building Engineer will also direct and manage activities and personnel related to special, capital, and other grant related projects and deferred maintenance and replacements of building components and systems as assigned by the Director of School Operations.
- Select, direct, manage and coordinate site, building, security and grounds contracted services
- Prepare and maintain accurate accounting of school facility budgets under the oversight of Director of School Operations
- Provide maintenance and project related support across KIPP Memphis Collegiate schools
- Provide management, training and support as needed for the shared facility services team
- Manage and supervise maintenance School Support Technicians as necessary to support facility maintenance and repairs ensuring schools basic facilities needs are handled\
- Inventory and purchase necessary materials, equipment, and supplies
- Directs and coordinates service providers, installs, inspects repairs and maintains the electrical, plumbing, mechanical and related building systems
- Monitors the heating, cooling and ventilation systems to ensure facility is at appropriate temperature and properly ventilated during normal hours of operation
- Performs, or directs to be performed, general repairs such as touch up painting, patching walls, security hardware, hanging shelves, etc.
- Manage renovations of existing facilities in concert with the school administration and KIPP Memphis Collegiate Schools
- Manage, perform, coordinate and inspect major contract work on the electrical, plumbing, mechanical and site related systems
- Directs and supervises performance of parking lot snow removal if necessary
- Directs, supervises and/or performs snow removal operations of sidewalks and entrances
DIRECTOR OF FACILITIES AND TRANSPORTATION
- Works with the Director of School Operations to develop and implement strategies to initiate and meet aggressive capital campaign goals and special facility grant projects.
- Develops, monitors and controls school specific facility budgets under the oversight of the Director of School Operations.
- Responsible for overseeing all capital and special projects as assigned by the Facilities Director. Directs, manages, and assures project completion in a successful, timely and cost effective manner. Meets the goals of the project requirements
- Reports issues, concerns and deviations from project requirements, physical building and site concerns, and security issues to the Director of School Operations. Collaborates on initiatives to bring situations back into compliance
- Attends all meetings as requested by Director of School Operations
- Responsible for and supervises all maintenance programs relating to the interior and exterior conditions and appearance of the property.
- On call for response to emergencies. Handles emergencies and instructs staff how to handle emergencies at any hour. Provides staff training and cross training for emergencies and mechanical systems.
- Responsible for maintaining documentation for all renovation, construction and equipment maintenance. Daily review of the physical condition of the building at the beginning and end of day is required.
- Works with and maintenance staff and outside vendors to facilitate proactive preventative maintenance programs and repair for all major building components; e.g. chillers, boilers, water pumps, fire/life/safety systems, air handlers, elevators, common area electrical components, plumbing risers, etc.
- The Building Engineer is responsible for walking the property daily on a scheduled basis and preparing a list to document each inspection.
- Heavy lifting, bending, stooping, kneeling, and reaching may be required. This position requires physical strength, good eyesight, hearing, manual dexterity, and the ability to move freely about the building.
- Conducts Daily Property Walks: Look for items which need to be addressed and repaired, included but not limited to, such areas as front entry lobby, cleanliness, glass, walls, floor, equipment room, facade, classroom building perimeter, personnel uniform inspections, climate control, fire code compliance, life safety signage, etc.
Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Meet regularly with Director of School Operations (DOSO) to identify issues and concerns regarding facilities.
- Includes DOSO in budget related communications
- Responds to and addresses emergencies as identified by DOSO.
- Informs and coordinates with DOSO on scheduling and timing constraints regarding projects and maintenance activities
- Assists DOSO in training and supervising School Support Technicians
- Assures accurate accounting of all unrestricted and restricted income and its sources
- Liaison between Director of Facilities and DOSO’s when required
- Minimum of 5 years, verifiable, maintenance and repair experience in medical, office or educational environments
- Proven expertise in either Mechanical, Electrical, or Plumbing
- Project Management experience is preferred
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Outlook, Word and Excel
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work as team leader and as a team member
- Ability to manage and balance the ambiguities and multiple priorities inherent in an entrepreneurial environment
- Relentless results-orientation
- Basic proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word, and Outlook with strong preference for candidates with Building Automation Systems or Energy Management Systems soft wares. (BAS/EMS)
- Committed to the mission of preparing educationally underserved children for excellent high schools and colleges
- This position is one where the incumbent might be required to stand for extended periods, lift heavy objects on a regular basis, do repetitive tasks with few breaks, climb ladders and work in extreme weather environments. This position also requires responses to facility or security emergencies that occur after hours, on weekend or holidays.