You can use your mobile device to email jobs to yourself or others. You can apply to roles at KIPP from a laptop or desktop.
Here’s what you need to know
KIPP New Jersey
Newark & Camden, NJ
Type: Leadership & Support Staff
Full Time/Part Time: Full-Time
Start Date: Immediately
Organization: KIPP New Jersey
Contact: Leadership Recruiter
We're looking for a Senior Accountant to provide impeccable accounting skills in efforts of generating timely and accurate financial statements for KIPP New Jersey (Our Charter Management Organization) and one of our new regions located in Miami, Florida.
A bit more about you…you have experience significantly improving an accounting function. You’re an fund accounting expert. You’re also an analytical ace, value organization and transparency, and are not afraid to challenge the status quo. You must be a team player and possess a growth mindset. Here’s what you’ll be doing.
Complete general ledger accounting for KIPP New Jersey and KIPP Miami by following and refining a detailed monthly, quarterly, and yearly close process, resulting in accurate financial statements, widely circulated for feedback. Responsibilities include:
Must Haves (ie. what you need to rock this role)
- Manage intercompany billings and entries
- Manage monthly accruals
- Generate monthly financials for internal and board reporting purposes
- Regularly collaborate with the accounts payable department to accrue any outstanding invoices, void checks, reconcile aged payables
- Regularly collaborate with the purchasing team to ensure that aged encumbrance are accurate being addressed in a timely manner
- Manage and report on cash flow on a weekly basis in order to reconcile with finance and development teams
- Respond to inquiries from State of New Jersey and State of Florida
- Monthly compensation reconciliation and reporting to budget managers
- Manage grant/revenue accounting by recording journal entries and prepare financial statements for all restricted grants including Federal grants such as CSP, IDEA, and NCLB
Nice to Haves
- Strong understanding of governmental accounting/encumbrance accounting, fund accounting, and accounting for real estate financings and federal subsidized bond programs (eg QZAB and QSCB).
- Detail-oriented: Does not let important details become forgotten. Ability to manage several detailed processes with strong management skills and ability to project plan.
- Strong, team player and possession of customer orientation service. Be incredibly solutions-oriented, always presenting a proposed solution when encountering a roadblock.
- Critical-thinking: ability to navigate complex and first-time accounting transactions, review and site authoritative literature.
- Demonstrated the ability to process and execute in a high-volume task environment.
- Abila/Sage MIP General Ledger Experience
- Demonstrated excellence in high-volume accounts payable environment.
- Experience with intercompany accounting.
- Experience with New Jersey charter/district school compliance is a plus.
- Ability to understand complex processes and identify and execute upon improvements.
In your application please include a detailed cover letter which describes your interest in working in the non-profit sector at KIPP NJ and the value you would bring to this role.Need more reasons to work here?
In addition to a competitive salary, KIPP New Jersey offers a comprehensive benefits plan, a subsidized wireless plan through Verizon, and a laptop, as well as subsidized travel for teammates commuting from the New York area.
Our central office (where you’ll be working) is only an 8-minute walk from Newark Penn Station, so the commute from Manhattan and Jersey City (or any NJ Transit station) is pretty easy. And 100% of KIPP New Jersey employees agree we have the best kids in the nation. So there’s that. About KIPP New Jersey
KIPP New Jersey is part of the nationally recognized “Knowledge Is Power Program” network of free, open-enrollment, college-preparatory public schools dedicated to preparing students in underserved communities for success in college and in life. In 2002, KIPP New Jersey first opened its doors in Newark’s South Ward as a single class of 80 fifth graders and has since grown to serve over 3,700 students in grades K-12 in Newark and Camden. More than 88% of KIPP New Jersey students currently qualify for free or reduced meals.
In the next few years, KIPP New Jersey will have ten schools in Newark and five in Camden providing world-class education to over 7,300 students. By offering outstanding educators with strong bonds to the families we serve, more time in school learning, services that support a variety of student needs and a culture focused on achievement, our students are on the path to and through college proving that demographics don’t define destiny. Visit KIPPNJ.org
to learn more.