You can use your mobile device to email jobs to yourself or others. You can apply to roles at KIPP from a laptop or desktop.
BackgroundKIPP Reach College Preparatory is one of 183 tuition-free, open-enrollment college-preparatory KIPP (Knowledge Is Power Program) schools operating in low-income urban and rural communities throughout the country. KIPP Reach’s mission is to empower all students with the academic, character and life skills necessary to succeed in high school, college, and the competitive world. Duties and Responsibilities:
KIPP OKC Public Schools
Oklahoma City, OK
Type: Leadership & Support Staff
Full Time/Part Time: Full-Time
Start Date: Immediate
Grade: 5; 6; 7; 8
Organization: KIPP Reach College Preparatory
The role of the Dean on Duty is to promote and maintain a strong restorative student culture so that teachers and the leadership team can focus on instruction, as well as, to support the leadership’s vision of a strong and positive staff culture. This role is intended to ensure that our school maintains our focus on the mission of preparing our students for college in the best way possible. The position will report to a member of the school’s leadership team. Dean on Duty High Level Responsibilities:
Below is an overview for responsibilities of the Dean on Duty for the 2018-19 school year (duties are subject to change due to school needs and do not represent every component of the position):
- Restorative Discipline: Help to maintain a restorative discipline system that prompts students to understand the impact of their actions on themselves and others. Sweat the “small stuff” so that it does not become big stuff, always with the goal of ensuring our students are developing into students of strong character.
- Manage and reset students cannot remain in class due to disciplinary issues, through reflective and restorative conversations, and high accountability.
- Manage Dean on Duty Desk and records
- Maintain up to date discipline tracker of student discipline issues, reflections and consequences
- Consult with school leadership on suspension decisions, especially suspensions of any students with IEPs.
- Model warm economy of language and high expectations at all times.
- Support Systems for At-risk Students: The Student Growth Report system works for about 90% of our students; for students who continue to struggle significantly with this, we need something additionally to set them up for success and hold them accountable to our high expectations.
- Holding restorative circles to ensure all student relationships remain positive and strong.
- Work with grade level team to determine who is in need of interventions, such as Daily Behavior Logs and in-class reset areas. Monitor student progress of students on behavior plans and develop criteria to be released from the Behavior Logs. (Ideally no more than 1-2 per grade level at a time)
- Inform parents of child’s misbehavior, when necessary. Attend behavior meetings with teachers and family, when necessary.
- Meet with Assistant School Leaders at least twice per month to develop intervention plans.
- Connect families of at-risk students to social services as needed.
- Wednesday Electives (WE) Coordinator: Each Wednesday, our students participate in Arts, Science, and Leadership focused programming to enhance their learning experience. KIPP partners with the community to make this happen. The Wednesday Electives coordinator:
- Establishes and maintains healthy relationships with community partners for WE
- Works with leadership to determine program courses and initiates direction of programming
- Communicates KIPP expectations to partners
- Enrolls students, and creates and maintains WE program schedules
- Keeps accurate records of WE student attendance
- Family Meetings and Family Engagement: At KIPP Reach, we are a team and family. We know that our students will be most successful when families are highly valued, respected and informed on their child’s progress. We consider it a major responsibility to ensure we are partnering with every family to set our students up for success. Simply put, relationships with families matter. The Dean on Duty:
- Maintains healthy relationships with students and families.
- Updates student families on behavioral progress of high risk students at least once per week.
- Updates families of KIPP advisory group students on grades and character progress
- Return all phone calls from parents within 24 hours of receiving them.
Salary & Benefits
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year institution (strongly preferred)
- Significant K-12 urban teaching experience and/or prior success in an environment with significant focus on children’s culture and success.
- Strong preference for candidates with prior experience in a charter or independent school environments.
- Outstanding organizational skills and high attention to detail; outstanding written and oral communication skills.
- Articulate, professional demeanor with strong self-confidence and initiative
- Ability to manage the ambiguity and multiple priorities inherent in an entrepreneurial environment.
- Proactive problem solver who demonstrates initiative.
- Strong work ethic coupled with an enthusiastic and passionate approach to one’s work.
- Commitment to the belief that all students can learn and to the mission of educational equity.
- This is a full-time, exempt position. Starting Salary is $28,000 for an August-May contract. Competitive benefits pack includes health coverage (medical, dental, vision), Oklahoma State Teachers Retirement participation, life insurance, and long-term disability.
As an equal opportunity employer, KIPP Reach does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military status, or any other basis made unlawful by applicable federal, state, or local laws or regulations.
- If you are highly committed to enacting extraordinary change for traditionally underserved students please apply directly online at kipp.org/careers. If KIPP Reach decides to invite you for an interview, a member of KIPP Reach’s Leadership Team will contact you.