You can use your mobile device to email jobs to yourself or others. You can apply to roles at KIPP from a laptop or desktop.
(Immediate) Elementary School Lead Teacher
KIPP Indy Public Schools
Full Time/Part Time: Full-Time
Start Date: Immediate
Subject: General Elementary
Grade: K; 1; 2; 3; 4
Organization: KIPP Indy Unite Elementary
KIPP is a non-profit network of college-preparatory, public charter schools with a 20-year track record of preparing students in educationally underserved communities for success in college and life. KIPP currently educates 88,000 students in 209 schools across the country, including Indianapolis. KIPP Indy Public Schools (KIPP Indy) was founded in 2004 with one class of fifth grade students and has grown to educate more than 700 students across two schools. KIPP Indy Unite Elementary was founded in 2014 with 100 kindergarten students and will grow a grade level each year until they educate 600 students in grades K-6. In the 2018-19 school year, KIPP Indy Unite Elementary will educate 500 students in grades K-4. Of the students that attend KIPP Indy, 90% qualify for free and reduced lunch, 94% are African American, and 20% receive special education services. We plan to grow KIPP Indy’s network to educate students in our community in grades K-12 with the opening of our high school in the fall of 2019.VISION
At KIPP Indy Unite Elementary, our goal is that every student will have the academic foundation, character strengths, and support necessary to succeed in college, to live a life of choice, and to make a positive impact in our community. To do this, we live by Walter Payton’s words, “We are stronger together than we are apart.” We leverage the unique perspectives, talents, and strengths of each member of our community in order to solve problems, inspire growth, and maximize learning. Combining technology and collaborative learning with rigorous academic standards, we will prepare students for their journey to and through college. With joy and enthusiasm, we instill a love for learning and we embrace challenges as opportunities for both individual and community growth.POSITION OVERVIEW
KIPP Indy Unite Elementary is seeking teachers for grades K, 1, 2, 3, and 4. Responsibilities and qualifications vary between lower elementary and upper elementary.
Teachers at KIPP Indy Unite Elementary are responsible for delivering effective, high-quality, rigorous instruction in their classroom that produces strong results and student understanding. Teachers will use data to inform their instruction and do whatever it takes for all students to learn. Most importantly, teachers will work to make their classrooms safe, joyful environments and build relationships with their students to ensure every student can be successful. POSTION RESPONSIBILITIES
- Create lesson plans in specific subject areas for grade level and teach the majority of subject matter to students in your class
- Work alongside and develop a co-teacher that will plan and deliver lessons and assist in small group instruction
- Exhibit positive rapport with students, families, and staff
- Internalize lesson plans to execute at a high level
- Use assessment data to inform planning and modify lesson plans to meet the needs of students
- Maintain a safe and organized classroom
- Implement the school-wide student management policies within classrooms and everywhere on campus
- Establish and maintain strong communication lines with all parents
- Participate in weekly content professional development meetings outside of school hours
- Serve on school committees as needed
- Perform clerical duties, as required, relating to textbooks, instructional supplies, student reports and records, attendance reports, etc.
- Arrive at school by 7:30 a.m.
- Participate in school-wide and individual professional development, including two weeks during the summer
- Provide time in the evening, by phone, for questions and concerns that students and/or parents may have regarding education-related issues that could not be handled during the school day
- Attend and participate in all staff meetings and communicate openly with all staff
- Uphold the code of conduct and all school policies
- Be available for open houses, parent-teacher conferences, and other events involving parents
- Believes deeply that all students can learn and deserve a high-quality education
- Exhibit KIPP Indy Unite Elementary values of joy, teamwork, love, and grit
- Perseveres through challenges and is adaptable to change
- Understands their own strengths and weaknesses and shows initiative in seeking ways to always improve
- Develops strong relationships
- Communicates across lines of differences and proactively creates inclusive environments
- Plans carefully to meet both short- and long-term goals and holds themselves accountable to meeting goals
- Uses data to solve problems
- Valid Indiana Teaching License or seeking reciprocation (Required)
- Bachelor’s degree (Required)
- Pass a criminal background check (Required)
- Commitment to working with underserved students (Required)
- At least two years of teaching experience in an urban public elementary school (Preferred)
- Experience in analyzing student data and using data to inform instruction (Preferred)
- Possess a strong knowledge of content areas (Preferred)
- Expert in content areas of literacy or math (Preferred for upper grades)
Salary is competitive, commensurate with experience, and includes benefits. Teachers are also eligible for performance-based bonuses.
KIPP Indy Unite Elementary is an equal opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.